FEATURED CONTENT

  • THE REALITY OF RACE IN AMERICA: WHY WE CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH
  • (GOVERNMENT) JOBS BILL OVERCOMES FILIBUSTER AND NOW HAS SMOOTH ROAD AHEAD
  • FATHER OF THE BRIDE PART II: THE HONEYMOON IS OVER!
  • EXPECTATIONS DWINDLE FROM "CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN" TO "IT COULD BE WORSE"
  • NAACP ACCUSES TEA PARTY OF RACISM WHILE IGNORING BLATANTLY RACIST ACTS BY IT'S FRIENDS!
  • ERIC HOLDER REFUSES TO PROSECUTE HATE GROUP FOR VOTER INTIMIDATION
  • THE PEOPLE’S PROP 23 WOULD REVERSE THE POLITICIAN’S AB 32… BIZZARO WORLD? NO…JUST CALIFORNIA

Monday, August 16, 2010

The Reality of Race in America: Why we can’t handle the truth


If there is one good thing that has come out of America electing Barak Obama to be the nations first black President, it is the way in which the issue of race and race relations has been drawn, kicking and screaming into the public square. Whether we like it or not, old wounds that have never properly healed are now reopened for discussion and debate. Unfortunately though, I am not confident that any real solutions will come.

I am just not sure that we (white, black, liberal or conservative) are ready for such an open and honest discussion. On one side you have those who just want to sweep the past under the rug, like it never happened. On the other side you have those who are stuck in the past as though nothing has changed. Both sides are insistent on living in their respective states of denial, preventing us from really communicating on how we move forward from here.

For example, I am told by blacks that if I am a conservative, then I cannot really be black. And at the same time, conservatives claim that if I choose to identify myself as black then I cannot truly be a conservative. The truth is that unlike some would have you believe, the two are not mutually exclusive. And here is why.

At 41 years old, I am a part of the first generation to grow up after the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. So unlike my father, or his father before him, I was born “Equal under the law.” But that did not mean that I was born in a system that promoted equality. 400 years of slavery, the subsequent 100 years of Jim Crow and the liberal led welfare/entitlement state did much to weaken the black man and destroy his family and community. These systems were designed to keep blacks down and that is exactly what they did. The reason many blacks have a victim mentality is that not too long ago, they were victims.

Take my father for example. He left the Air force after World War II as a fully trained and certified electrician. But he could only get a job washing cars. You see, the unions would not let him join their ranks because his father was not a union member. Never mind the fact that at the time my grandfather was working, they did not allow blacks to join the union.

My mother experienced whites only drinking fountains and lunch counters. She remembers “Bull” Conner turning police dogs and fire hoses on innocent blacks like it was yesterday. These experiences are not easily dismissed by those who experienced them. They play a major role in shaping one’s world view.

For my parents, everything in society told them that it was government and whites who were in control…not them. And this is the world view that they have passed on to us, their children. This was their reality.

My reality is somewhat different. I can eat where I want. I can go where I want. The law states that I can not be denied any opportunity because of the color of my skin. And there are teams of lawyers, judges and politicians willing to fight to protect these rights. There are no laws preventing me from starting a business, getting a good education or supporting the political candidate of my choosing. This is part of my reality; the only part that many conservatives are willing to acknowledge.

I also realize that there are those whom I will encounter who will prejudge me based on the color of my skin, whether they admit it or not. Racism is not dead, just diminished. I also must acknowledge that the 1964 Civil Rights Act did not undo the 500 years of indoctrination and brain washing black Americans underwent. Nor did it create a level playing field in regards to asset wealth.

There were “The Haves” and “The Have Nots” and nothing happened to change the fact that blacks would start off overwhelmingly in the category of “The Have Nots.” This meant that they would have much less capitol to start businesses, purchase homes or to pass on to future generations. As hard as my parents worked and as much as they tried, they did not have a home or any other significant assets to pass on to their children. This is too often the norm in black America. This too is also part of my reality; the only part that many liberals are willing to acknowledge.

I don’t believe that we will ever truly address the issue of race in America until blacks and whites; liberals and conservatives are willing to accept the truth about where we have come from and where we are now. Whites cannot celebrate creating equality in the rules of the game after attempting to knee-cap the other team’s players and spotting themselves 20 points. Along the same lines, we cannot be so preoccupied with the unfairness of how things started that we spend all our time complaining to referees, thus letting the other team run up the score. This is exactly what has been taking place the last 50 years.

As for my perspective; I will say this: Being black is part of who I am. But it does not dictate who I am or who I will become. And while I cannot control the fairness of the circumstances around me, I can control how I react to those circumstances. I can choose to learn from them or whine about them. As I approach each challenge, I can choose to see it as a stumbling block or a stepping stone; as an obstacle or a building block. I can choose to fight against ignorance and poverty or I can pawn it off on my children for them to fight it. These are my choices.

I have a message that I encourage every black parent…scratch that… every parent to tell their children. It is what my father told me many moons ago and it has served me well.

Life isn’t fair…GET OVER IT!

Your future will mostly be shaped by the decisions that you make, and no one else. Where you end up in life will be the result of all the choices you make, big and small. And when it is all said and done, your success or failure will be determined, not by the circumstances which you had to face, but by how you responded to those circumstances.

6 comments:

Walt Lucas said...

Very thought provoking. Being a white guy a few years older than you, I grew up on a ranch in the middle of nowhere. I did not meet a black person until my father sold the Oakland A's pitcher, Vida Blue a ranch near Redding. Vida was great, he and two of his team mates came to our school to play with all 50 of our K-8 students.

My parents were not overtly racist that I can ever remember. So I was not raised with a prejudice nature. I always took people one at a time.

I'm human, and I do judge people, although that is the Lord's job, but that judgment comes from your actions, not the color of your skin or your accent.

I would enjoy talking about race honestly, but when I tell some black people that I really don't think of myself as racist, they tell me that I am, I just don't know it. How is that a discussion?

I cannot control what happened to someone's parents, grandparents or going back 400 years. I simply cannot. I am who I am.

I can empathize with someone who lived through those tough times, but I cannot apologize for what happened to them, I was not there, and I didn't harm you.

As far as the economic disparity, I'm not sure there is a solution that has not been tried that did not fail. Replacing injustice with dependence is not freedom.

There are many people who come to this country without two nickles to rub together, don't speak the language and are completely on their own. They start businesses and realize the American dream. Opportunity is out there, but you have to be willing work your butt off for it.

I have taught my children to live up to MLK's dream so that when they meet someone they will not judge them by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. That is all I can ask of anyone who meets me. Why can't that be enough for everyone?

Keep the faith Craig.

Craig DeLuz said...

The fact is that we all prejudge others based on their appearance; how they dress, their hygene, their build and yes, even their race. It is human nature. And to say that you don't is a denial of this very basic tendency we all have.

The real question is whether or not we let that prejudgement affect how we treat them?

Well how can you treat them equally if you don't even acknowledge that you see them differently.

I cannot tell you how many "colorblind" conservatives come up and ask me if I have ever read Mason Weaver's book "It's Ok To Leave the Plantation" or asked me if I knew Star Parker. If they were truly colorblind, why only mention black conservatives? And why only ask me?

I also have a friend who hosts a talk show that only calls me to discuss issues of race on his show. I am fully versed on the budget, education issues, as well as faith and family issues, why only have me on to talk race?

I'm not saying that they are racist. But because of my race, they have put me in a certain box and they likely don't even know it.

Unknown said...

Like you I am also a twin and my twin is the complete opposite of me; I have a twin brother, but I am his twin sister and I am conservative, he is REALLY Liberal. When growing up we NEVER agreed on anything and pretty much don’t agree now. It is good to see conservatives of all walks of life contributing to rebuilding our values and solving outstanding issues that ALL of us face.

I hope that this country will advance opportunities to talk about the REAL issues of racism, but this won’t happen unless all sides are willing to come to the table with an OPEN mind. What is true for you may not be the reality for someone else. We need to know each others reality.

Anonymous said...

An interesting take on what needs to happen to advance the "race" conversation in the country. There is an unwillingness on the part of many conservatives to deal honestly with the past and with its current ramifications. On the other hand, many liberals do nothing but deal in the past and ignore the present, and especially the present consequences of their disastrous social and economic policies for those they purport to "help"

Marie said...

I'm *so* glad you posted this, Craig! I have been saying this for awhile now, and have started saying it on air, more and more. What struck me most was your comment:

"I am just not sure that we (white, black, liberal or conservative) are ready for such an open and honest discussion. One side you have those who just want to sweep the past under the rug, like it never happened. On the other side you have those who are stuck in the past as though nothing has changed. Both sides are insistent on living in our respective states of denial, preventing us from really communicating on how we move forward from here."

Please keep speaking out on this issue!

Anonymous said...

Very good article...
My only comment is that I am white and grew up poor myself... My Mother raised me by herself with little education. She worked very hard to barely make ends meet and so I was in the same predicament you were... at a disadvantage.
Poverty is color blind... We all must make our way in this world. Some of us have to overcome obstacles that others don't, some start as an underdog and win the race... Some never get out of the gate... Some are the favorite, and fail miserably.
Some are so unfortunate as to have physical impairment that keeps them out of the race...
Thank God we were born in America where anything is possible and liberty and justice is what we strive for... Where hard work and good character are still the keys to success.